Can I do Community Service in another county than the county I got a DUI at?

Asked 12 months ago - Buena Park, CA

I got arrested for a DUI in LA county and I was wondering if I could do my community service around Orange County

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

7

Answered . You've just got to clear it with the court in LA first.

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

6

Answered . Almost certainly you will be able to do community service in another county, but you need approval first. Mainly because the Court expecting you to do the community service needs to be able to verify that you are doing the hours and at an approved facility.

3. Douglas Holbrook

4

Answered . I would not imagine that you would have any problem with that type of request.

4. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

2

Answered . Yes but you must ask for it at sentencing.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  5. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

2

Answered . It is very likely that you will be allowed to do community service in the OC. Each courthouse has a room for you to go to after pleaing to sign up for community service so first go back to that room and ask for permission. Three different outcomes my happen: 1) they may grant you permission immediately; 2) they may ask you to go to the OC probation dept to find a qualify community service program; or 3) they may deny the request, which in response you are very polite, but then go ask the judge with your old attorney. I wish you the best.

6. William Andrew Parry

Pro

2

Answered . The best answer is "probably," but it candidly varies from county, by county. Some/most counties will accept such transfers of time from other counties, others will not. You should look in to it (the transfer between the 2 counties) before you enter your plea to make sure, and to be on the safe. Also, some counties will accept 'time' from other counties, but will charge a hefty fee first - so do your homework and check it all out before you plea... or hire an attorney to help you. Good luck.