Can I do community service for a city of Alameda speeding ticket in lieu of paying the $332 fine?

Alameda, CA |

I got a ticket for speeding . . . can I choose setting a court date and then ask for community service based on being unemployed and having financial hardship? And if I can do community service, can I also have the ticket not count on my record, for insurance purposes? OR would I have to do community service and pay for traffic school to do that?

Generally, in California you can do community service to take care of the fine on a traffic ticket. However, usually there is a fee for doing community service of approximately $100.00. Sometimes courts can waive some of that fee if the determine that you have funds to pay the whole amount.

Hope things work out for you.

Shaffer Cormell
Law Offices of Shaffer Cormell

Negotiating a good resolution given the circumstances of your case will take an attorney familiar with the policies and procedures of the court where the matter is pending. Consult with a traffic attorney familiar with the judges and practices in the court where you received the ticket to explore your options.

It would be worth your while to check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.