Can I do business in states other than the state in which I formed my company?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

I formed an LLC in Nj. Turns out am getting clients from the other states than NJ. Can do business them?

1. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you can do incidental business in other states. If you were to have a store or sales/service person, you will have to register in the state to become authorized to do business. The answers are very fact specific. What kind of business do you operate? Does it require a license? Is it online or do you have physical locations?

You need to discuss this with a tax and business attorney.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio
    www.TaxEsq.com
    856 665-2121

2. Martin L Bearg

Answered . Yes. If o whether you need to collect, and pay to the other states, sales tax. If you have employees,you have to go to those states to do business, you must register (become authorized) to do business in those states. You also need to check with a CPA as to see if you have to file a tax return and/or pay and collect employment taxes, or if a solo, pay estimated tax.

If you are solely a mail order/Internet sales company, sales tax may be an issue, but the other issues do not apply.

IF you ever have to sue a client/customer in another state, a defense to such an action is that you are not authorized to do business.

The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice upon which you may rely as I have not been retained for this purpose.
  3. Matthew R Schutz

Answered . Yes. Depending on the form of business, the nature of the business, and volume of businness you may have to register in the other state

4. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . Yes, you can do business in other states. By way of example, Exxon Mobil Corporation is incorporated in NJ but does business in all 50 states.