Skip to main content

Can i do body rub without any license of masseur? Can i just start learning this craft and make money also?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Green cards Business

i came in USA like student and now am stay illegally here since my visa expired. i would like to try to do just body rub and make money. can i do that in new york state without any fear that the police will arrest me? my life is very difficult and also my position in USA now and i think this is the best way and job for begin in my case. Am i right? Can you explain me that i would have had consequences if they start doing body rub in ny state?

Attorney Answers 3


Go to school for this. You need a license.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


From the NYS Education Department website. What you call "body rub" is known as "massage therapy":

"Definition of Practice of Massage Therapy - Education Law, Section 7801

The practice of the profession of massage therapy is defined as engaging in applying a scientific system of activity to the muscular structure of the human body by means of stroking, kneading, tapping and vibrating with the hands or vibrators for the purpose of improving muscle tone and circulation."


This page covers the basic requirements and procedures to follow in applying for a license as a massage therapist in New York State. Any use of the title "massage therapist" or "masseuse," "masseur," or any derivation of the title, within New York State, requires licensure as a massage therapist.

To be licensed as a massage therapist in New York State you must:

- be of good moral character;
- be at least 18 years of age;
- meet education and examination requirements;
- meet experience requirements (if applicable); and
- have completed a course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) within three years prior to licensure.

In addition, an applicant must also submit evidence of English proficiency (if applicable). There is an experience requirement only for massage therapists licensed in another jurisdiction who seek licensure by endorsement.

You look like you could use some help with English proficiency as well. You should find plenty of free resources with this in New York City. I also would seek out an immigration attorney, as I would imagine you could be possibly subject to deportation without a visa or green card, but I'll leave that one to attorneys more versed in immigration law who can advise you.

And, by the way, as you probably know, Google is your best friend. If you can swing it, a smartphone or tablet so you always have access to Google, including translation resources, would be a worthwhile investment. You can answer almost any question instantly on Google if you know how to ask it.

(And, by the way, as you probably know, a "body rub" with a "happy ending" is a violation of NYS Penal Law Article 130. Google it if you don't know what I'm referring to. :-)

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Massage therapy requires a license in NY. Working requires an EAD. It would be very risky to undertake this path and will likely result in deportation if you are caught.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics