Can i do body rub without any license of masseur? Can i just start learning this craft and make money also?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

i came in USA like student and now am stay illegally here since my visa expired. i would like to try to do just body rub and make money. can i do that in new york state without any fear that the police will arrest me? my life is very difficult and also my position in USA now and i think this is the best way and job for begin in my case. Am i right? Can you explain me that i would have had consequences if they start doing body rub in ny state?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Best Answer

Answered . Go to school for this. You need a license.

2. Tracy Jong

2

Answered . Massage therapy requires a license in NY. Working requires an EAD. It would be very risky to undertake this path and will likely result in deportation if you are caught.

3. Jack Richard Lebowitz

Pro

1

Answered . From the NYS Education Department website. What you call "body rub" is known as "massage therapy":

"Definition of Practice of Massage Therapy - Education Law, Section 7801

The practice of the profession of massage therapy is defined as engaging in applying a scientific system of activity to the muscular structure of the human body by means of stroking, kneading, tapping and vibrating with the hands or vibrators for the purpose of improving muscle tone and circulation."

Further:

This page covers the basic requirements and procedures to follow in applying for a license as a massage therapist in New York State. Any use of the title "massage therapist" or "masseuse," "masseur," or any derivation of the title, within New York State, requires licensure as a massage therapist.

To be licensed as a massage therapist in New York State you must:

- be of good moral character;
    - be at least 18 years of age;
    - meet education and examination requirements;
    - meet experience requirements (if applicable); and
    - have completed a course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) within three years prior to licensure.

In addition, an applicant must also submit evidence of English proficiency (if applicable). There is an experience requirement only for massage therapists licensed in another jurisdiction who seek licensure by endorsement.

You look like you could use some help with English proficiency as well. You should find plenty of free resources with this in New York City. I also would seek out an immigration attorney, as I would imagine you could be possibly subject to deportation without a visa or green card, but I'll leave that one to attorneys more versed in immigration law who can advise you.

And, by the way, as you probably know, Google is your best friend. If you can swing it, a smartphone or tablet so you always have access to Google, including translation resources, would be a worthwhile investment. You can answer almost any question instantly on Google if you know how to ask it.

(And, by the way, as you probably know, a "body rub" with a "happy ending" is a violation of NYS Penal Law Article 130. Google it if you don't know what I'm referring to. :-)