Can I do anything about convicted felons around my young children?

Asked over 2 years ago - Ocala, FL

I have two young children that I share completely equal custody with their mother. She was convicted of domestic violence against me, her boyfriend convicted of domestic violence against her, public drunkeness and hit and run dui (in another state which he served time). His brother has four charges 3 of them are DUI and the last charge is a felony for possession. Lastly, the two brothers mother was convicted of domestic charges. All of these people around my 5 and 8 year old children. Can I pursue legal action to protect my children from living in the same household as my children (Currently they all live in a 2 bedroom 1 bath) or even being around them due to the numerous convictions. 4 Adults 3 children in this apartment.

1. Joanna Marie Mitchell

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . From what you have stated, it sounds as if you may have potential grounds for a modification. However, much more information would need to be known in order to fully explore your potential rights and options.

Detailed answers to many frequently asked questions regarding divorce, custody, visitation, child support, alimony, paternity and other Family Law matters are located on my website at http://www.mitchell-pa.com/FAQ_Main.html Be sure to stop by and check it out! And of course, if you have a question that is not addressed, please feel free to email me directly.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, my office offers free initial telephone consultations. During the consultation, we can discuss the particulars of your situation in depth, as well as explore your potential rights and options. If you would like to coordinate a free initial telephone consultation, please contact my office at 407-971-6140 or 352-324-2444 to schedule same.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements.

Joanna Mitchell
    Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    614 E. Hwy 50, Suite 327
    Clermont, FL 34711-3164
    PH: (352) 324-2444
    FX: (352) 324-2229
    Email: jmitchell@mitchell-pa.com
    Web: www.mitchell-pa.com

2. Stephen Andrew Mosca

Answered . Your question really doesn't have anything to do with civil rights in the legal sense, but you do have a legitimate concern and question for the right attorney. I suggest you post the same question under "family law" as well.

The situation you describe doesn't sound healthy for children in many ways. You likely require a family law attorney to learn of the procedural history of your case, then see what can be done in the best interest of the children.

If you cannot afford a lawyer or even a consultation with one, then see if there is a local legal aid office that maybe can help. And, of course, if there is an emergency or imminent serious danger to any child, contact 911 or DCF as required.