Skip to main content

Can I do anything about being wrongfully terminated by a casino since its tribal law?

Anacortes, WA |

I was wrongfully terminated and accused of stealing a coworkers tip. They said they had proof of this and refused to let me see the proof more than 3 times. But because it is Tribal Law I don't know what I can do about this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is true that many casinos can lawfully operate by the provisions of tribal law, in addition to or even-- in certain circumstances-- in place of state or federal law. But the circumstances of termination that you describe here would not be unlawful by state or federal law, so there seems to be no disadvantage to you in the application of tribal law. It is virtually certain that tribal law is not more restrictive of the employer's termination powers than state and federal law.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


Some casinos have an internal appeal policy in place which would allow you to appeal your termination and present evidence on your behalf. Failing that, I often refer clients to attorneys who specialize in tribal law when there is a true wrongful termination situation. But I agree with the other attorney insofar as the situation you describe does not sound like wrongful termination even under Washington law. Washington is an at-will employment state and an employer can terminate you for any reason - even a mistaken belief you did something wrong - so long as they were not discriminatory in doing so.

This answer is for general information purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer