Can I do anything about abuse that was recorded through therapist/physiatrist with my husband if no police report was filed?

I made him leave after we just bought a house, just moved in. We discussed, if we split, he agreed to sign over deed. I put forth down payment. I had not worked, told him he wud need to file. He became more vindictive. He's Aspergers n Bipolar1, not taking meds, manipulative talked badly n convinced everyone it was me. I was private of the abuse, but it's Recorded in therapist n phyk office, he admitted it. He is causing stress, paying no bills. I had not worked, still not. He drained account, cut off credit cards, he won't respond, as though I was bad! I was a good wife! Can I have records sepinaed? Immagration? What can be done? He is not a citizen n not pay bills, be abusive, not take prescribed mentally illness meds- his work is aware of his illness. He works offshore. He has work visa

Houston, TX -

Attorney Answers (2)

Cynthia Russell Henley

Cynthia Russell Henley

Criminal Defense Attorney - Houston, TX

Your situation needs to be handled by a divorce lawyer immediately. Your agreements about payments, etc., are civil matters. Immigration will only be interested if he is convicted of a crime.

You can call police if he was recently physically abusive but it is hard to get charges filed unless it was very recent and there is a decent explanation for your failure to report.

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Lancaster, OH

Wow, you have going on here. No way anyone here is going to be able to give you a full answer except to say yes, you subpoena records. I believe you need to sit down with a divorce attorney, a good one, and go through this in detail. If money is problem, call around. Many attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Good luck to you.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful"... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for domestic violence

Domestic violence is physically, sexually, emotionally, economically, or mentally abusive behavior used to control an intimate romantic partner.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.