Can I do anything about abuse that was recorded through therapist/physiatrist with my husband if no police report was filed?

Houston, TX |

I made him leave after we just bought a house, just moved in. We discussed, if we split, he agreed to sign over deed. I put forth down payment. I had not worked, told him he wud need to file. He became more vindictive. He's Aspergers n Bipolar1, not taking meds, manipulative talked badly n convinced everyone it was me. I was private of the abuse, but it's Recorded in therapist n phyk office, he admitted it. He is causing stress, paying no bills. I had not worked, still not. He drained account, cut off credit cards, he won't respond, as though I was bad! I was a good wife! Can I have records sepinaed? Immagration? What can be done? He is not a citizen n not pay bills, be abusive, not take prescribed mentally illness meds- his work is aware of his illness. He works offshore. He has work visa

Your situation needs to be handled by a divorce lawyer immediately. Your agreements about payments, etc., are civil matters. Immigration will only be interested if he is convicted of a crime.

You can call police if he was recently physically abusive but it is hard to get charges filed unless it was very recent and there is a decent explanation for your failure to report.

Thank you so much for your time.

Wow, you have going on here. No way anyone here is going to be able to give you a full answer except to say yes, you subpoena records. I believe you need to sit down with a divorce attorney, a good one, and go through this in detail. If money is problem, call around. Many attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Good luck to you.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Thank you, very much;)

How do I know which is a "good one"?

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

Wish I knew how to answer that for you. Do it this way. When you hire an attorney he/she works for you. It's a job interview in a way for the attorney. You want to make sure the attorney has some familiarity with what is presented. You want to make sure you feel comfortable with the attorney you choose. Sometimes just asking around helps. Find a family member or friend that has gone through a domestic matter and find out who they had and what their thoughts were. You'll know

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce