Can I do anything about abuse that was recorded through therapist/physiatrist with my husband if no police report was filed?

Asked 9 months ago - Houston, TX

I made him leave after we just bought a house, just moved in. We discussed, if we split, he agreed to sign over deed. I put forth down payment. I had not worked, told him he wud need to file. He became more vindictive. He's Aspergers n Bipolar1, not taking meds, manipulative talked badly n convinced everyone it was me. I was private of the abuse, but it's Recorded in therapist n phyk office, he admitted it. He is causing stress, paying no bills. I had not worked, still not. He drained account, cut off credit cards, he won't respond, as though I was bad! I was a good wife! Can I have records sepinaed? Immagration? What can be done? He is not a citizen n not pay bills, be abusive, not take prescribed mentally illness meds- his work is aware of his illness. He works offshore. He has work visa

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Cynthia Russell Henley

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your situation needs to be handled by a divorce lawyer immediately. Your agreements about payments, etc., are civil matters. Immigration will only be interested if he is convicted of a crime.

    You can call police if he was recently physically abusive but it is hard to get charges filed unless it was very recent and there is a decent explanation for your failure to report.

  2. Lee Alan Thompson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Wow, you have going on here. No way anyone here is going to be able to give you a full answer except to say yes, you subpoena records. I believe you need to sit down with a divorce attorney, a good one, and go through this in detail. If money is problem, call around. Many attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Good luck to you.

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful"... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,999 answers this week

3,066 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,999 answers this week

3,066 attorneys answering