Skip to main content

Can I do anything?

Bath, NY |

I work as a babysitter in ny through pro action. One of the children I watched has a parent whom which is suppose to pay half of the child care expenses. I have been watching this child for three months now and still have not received a payment. Is there anything I can do about this? Can I take him to court?

Attorney Answers 3



I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Based upon the information provided, it sounds like you have a claim for either unpaid wages or breach of contract.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/employattorney) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You can and should sue. If there is a small claims venue, that would save you filing fees, and is a much more friendly venue towards litigants without attorneys.

THIS RESPONSE IS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. IT HAS BEEN PROVIDED FOR EDUCATION AND GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Terkell is licensed to practice in the State of New York only. . There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising out of this educational exchange. Moreover, the facts provided by you were not sufficient to allow Mr. Terkell to advise you specifically regarding what you should or should not do. You should seek the counsel of a qualified attorney licensed within the proper jurisdiction , to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Terkell is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter, or to take any action whatsoever

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics