Skip to main content

Can I do a sentence modification for a misdemeanor in VA that occured in 2003.

Manassas, VA |

My husband is being detained by ICE because of an attempted petit larseny that ended up with a 12 month dismissed sentence in 2003. However ICE has him in removal procedures now. He is an LPR and has been since he got here in 1993.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. More information is needed. A "suspended sentence" may be used for removal purposes. However, it is unclear whether he can be released on bond redetermination and pursue what is known as permanent resident cancellation.

    I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics