Can I do a quit claim deed without a lawyer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mount Pleasant, SC

My husband bought a house before we were married with the deed and mortgage in his name only. After we were married, he did a general warranty deed to put the house solely in my name but my name is not on the loan. We are separated and I want to put the house back in his name. Can I do a quit claim deed without a lawyer or do I need to get a lawyer to do a general warranty deed?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Evan Kyle Guthrie

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . In South Carolina you can act as your own attorney and do a quit claim deed, but it is strongly recommended that you use an attorney to make sure that it is done properly or that it is what is in your best interest.

    Evan Guthrie Law Firm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of South Carolina. The Evan Guthrie Law Firm practices in the areas of estate planning probate wills living trust special needs trusts personal injury accident and divorce and family law and entertainment law. For further information visit his website at . Follow on Twitter Like on Facebook . Avvo LinkedIn Google + Evan Guthrie Law Firm 164 Market Street Suite 362 Charleston SC 29401 843-926-3813

    This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-... more
  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes.

    I would not advise it. But yes you can.

  3. Kristina Street Hatcher

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Legally you can draft your own deed and record it, yes. I would suggest you consult with your divorce attorney before going down that road. There may be unforeseen consequences to the conveyance. Good luck to you.

    If this answer is "helpful" to you, please indicate so. If it is the "best answer" you receive, please indicate... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,220 answers this week

3,024 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,220 answers this week

3,024 attorneys answering