Can I divorce my wife if she left the country 1 year ago and doesn't want to come back and sign the papers? She agree to divorce

Asked over 5 years ago - Willowbrook, IL

We met and got married in Dupage County, Illinois in April 2007 and then she left the country in May 2007. She came back to visit every 4 months. Then the relationship got diluted and we decided to get divorced. But she does not want to come back to sign the papers and go to the court. What can I do? There is no financial dispute.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Bradley Louis Schencker

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . A party to a divorce proceeding may sign the papers and not be present in the state nor country. She will need to file an appearance and submit to this jurisdiction.
    Unfortunately, in the small space provided for questions one is unable to get a full background of the story. In the situations such as you are explaining you should immediately seek the counsel of a capable attorney that practices in the area of family law or if you cannot afford an attorney, you should seek a social service organization in your area. This answer is general in nature and does not form an attorney client relationship. If you would like to get more information on this topic or to establish an attorney client relationship please contacts my office.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,776 answers this week

2,986 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,776 answers this week

2,986 attorneys answering