Can I divorce in Florida if I was married in North Carolina?

Asked over 4 years ago - Palm Coast, FL

We were married in North Carolina because I am in the military. We are both Florida residents and are currently living in Florida.

1. Gregory Thomas Buckley

Pro

Answered . As long as you have been a continuous resident of the state of Florida for at least 6 months, the courts here will have jurisdiction.

2. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . As long as one of you has resided in Florida for at least 6 months you can and should file for divorce in Florida. North Carolina would not allow you to file there because you do not meet residency requirements.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.