Can I dispute an "oral agreement" that other people claimed that I had made? What kind of lawyer should I hire to help?

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

About me : I own a small restaurant. I have been in business for over five years.

The problem : I went to a community board meeting to try and gain support for my license. I was told that at a prior meeting, when I applied for an outdoor seating permit, that I had agreed to forgo a beer and wine license to gain my outdoor seating permit.

They claim that they have witnesses and that my "agreement" was recorded in their minutes. Normally, when the community board offers some kind of "deal," they present a stipulation agreement that needs to be signed first. I have signed nothing and I have agreed to nothing.

I am not trying to back out of an agreement. I feel that I am being unjustly targeted and discriminated against.

Please help!

1. Daniel H. Richland

Pro

3

Answered . You should speak to one or more attorneys and consult. Different attorneys may have different strategies for addressing this issue. Many attorneys will offer free consultations.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . You want a lawyer who deals with getting a liquor license.

3. David Simon

2

Answered . Your question may be more appropriately received in a zoning/land use category rather than in the contracts category. It is routine for planning boards and zoning boards to ask an applicant to agree to certain conditions of approval. Many times there is no legal requirements to accept these conditions except to show a willingness to cooperate with the reviewing board. I am not sure what the authority of this community board is, but I am sure there is a local land use attorney near you that can advise you properly.

4. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You must retain an attorney right away.