Can I dispute a trademark for misrepresenting its class of business?

Manteca, CA |

I have been doing preliminary trademark searches on potential business names to start a t-shirt company. I came up with a name, but when I searched it on the USPTO website, there was another registration already for the same name under "G&S - clothing, namely shirts and hats." I Googled the organization name and found it to be a Christian organization in Tennessee. They appear to be using the name to brand a youth outreach program that they run. They do not have any shirts or hats for sale on their site.

It seems to me that they are not using the trademark in a way that would conflict with my business, but I'm worried that my trademark application would be rejected because they claim to sell clothing. Do I have any recourse to have the USPTO investigate this so I can get a trademark?

1. Just because there are no hats or t-shirts on their website doesn't mean they're not using their TM for those goods, or [erhaps that TM is an intent-to-use TM and they haven't started using it yet. If you think you've got grounds to petition to cancel someone's trademark, it's theoretically possible to hire an IP litigator to pursue that goal.

But the cost of doing that is likely prohibitive, so that's something only the most well-financed parties do. For a brand new company like yours, it's a much more practical solution to simply choose another name that's both viable and available.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. It is likely that they offer shirts and hats to members in their program; i.e., they may not sell the shirts & hats, but still offer them in commerce.

If you are determined to obtain that mark, you could file an opposition proceeding when the mark is published for registration. An opposition proceeding is effectively a litigation proceeding with the main issue that is litigated being whether the mark that is about to be registered is substantially likely to cause confusion with an existing mark. These procedures follow their own somewhat arcane procedure, and you will not be able to conduct such a proceeding without an attorney (I have seen several pro se litigants try; every one of them lost due to procedural mistakes).

Another (and perhaps better) option would be, as Attorney Koslyn recommended, finding a different mark.

Good luck!

This answer is not a substitute for professional legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it a solicitation to offer legal advice. If you ignore this warning and convey confidential information in a private message or comment, there is no duty to keep that information confidential or forego representation adverse to your interests. Seek the advice of a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction before taking any action that may affect your rights. If you believe you have a claim against someone, consult an attorney immediately, otherwise there is a risk that the time allotted to bring your claim may expire.

3. Attorneys Koslyn and Sherinian are right.

But I'd supplement their comments with a possible further consideration. Maybe there would be a way for your business to coexist with them. Find an attorney to advise you about "concurrent use" agreements, and then contact the organization with a proposal that would be too good for them to refuse.

This posting is intended for general education and isn't "legal advice." It doesn't create or evidence an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to engage an attorney in the pertinent jurisdiction for confidential legal advice on matters of any importance.

4. If you picked a mark that is like someone elses, you should pause and think about it. Have you GOOGLED IT? Many others may have superior rights even though not registered.

Read my articles on how you can lose money if you chose a mark that is not good.

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
    Certified Tax Specialist -- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
    Electrical-Chemical-Mechanical Patent (Intellectual Property) Attorney
    (562) 594-9784
    http://patentax.com
    About Curt: http://patentax.com/curt/index.html
    Visit the Library: http://patentax.com/library/

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

5. As my colleagues allude to, the benchmark test is likelihood of confusion, a legal term of art that considers several factors in determining the issue of trademark infringement. In some cases, even identical marks can co-exist and avoid confusion because their goods/services are so far removed that the consumer is unlikely to confuse the two brands.

Frankly you always need a trademark attorney, but given that there seem to be some issues with similar marks and your desired mark, you definitely need an experienced trademark counsel if you wish to move forward with this brand for your t-shirt line. But, better that you analyze this issue now and know what you're getting into (from a trademark perspective) than printing 1500 shirts and a website splashed with a brand name that you may ultimately recall or "take down". Not to mention potential legal fees and damages if you are sued for trademark infringement.

A search and clearance report should give you an indication of the legal landscape and potential path to trademark protection for this mark. Start there.

This content is a discussion of legal issues and general information; it does not constitute legal advice and should not be used as such without seeking professional legal counsel. Reading the content does not create an attorney-client relationship.