Can I dispute a claim regarding an unknown outstanding balance after garnished amount fulfilled?

Asked over 1 year ago - Memphis, TN

My employer garnished my check for the entire judgement amount indicated in the writ of garnishment.  After calling the original debtor to reschedule a doctor's appointment they, told me that I had a outstanding balance.    I told them that my check had been garnished back in 2009 and to my knowledge had been fulfilled.  I was given the  number to the collections agency ( attorneys office) that handle the case.    I contacted the attorney's office to  confirm the amount was satisfied.  Now 5 years later, they claimed it is unsatisfied.  The unsatisfied amount they are claiming I have is more then the amount stated in the original writ of garnishment from courts.   They never contacted me whatsoever to tell me about the additional amount after garnishment of my check.  If they garnished my

1. George John Dezenberg Jr.

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . If they are claiming additional amounts then you have every right to dispute the claim. You can file a dispute with the three credit bureaus, you can send a FDCPA dispute in writing to the law firm handling the account, and if a suit is filed (doubtful) you can argue res judicata that the account has already been sued upon. Good Luck.

2. David Eugene Mullis

Answered . You should also check into your states version of the doctrine of Full Accord and Satisfaction and if the lien was paid in full, you should check into your states penalties against creditors for not filing a satisfaction of the judgment lien within a prescribed period of time after satisfaction of the lien. You definitely should consult a local attorney concerning your options.