Can I discontinue Alimony payments if my ex-wife's boyfriend stays overnight multiple times a week.

Asked 8 months ago - Wilmington, NC

They are sharing a bed and my kids are in the house. He is accompanying them on family vacations and spending holidays together. He has a key to her house and helps her with chores concerning my children.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lloyd T. Kelso


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The question is whether the boyfriend cohabits with her. If this is court ordered alimony and she cohabits it could terminate her alimony. It takes more than a few overnights. The boyfriend must actually assume marital type obligations such as helping pay bills, buying groceries, etc.

    No attorney-client relationship is created by this response. Always see an attorney in person to create an... more
  2. Kenneth Love Jr.

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Kelso and to add this: NEVER cease these payments until you receive legal advice from an attorney you hire and/or you get an order from Court terminating your obligation to make payments.

  3. Kevin H. Pate

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Payment of alimony is by a court order. Until such time as that order is no longer in effect, one complies with their valid court order. If you believe there is evidence to have the order changed, retain counsel of your choice and present your case to the court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,864 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,864 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering