Can I derive automatic Citizenship threw grandparents? Below is more details

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I came to the US on a Green card when I was around 10 threw my US Citizen grandmother who came to the US in the late 1960s. I totally didn't know what I was until I got older and now I am over 18 which means I can apply on my own but however a friend of mines from Israel got his US citizenship threw his Grandparents because they were citizens before his birth but his parents weren't because they were born in Israel & that's similar to me. There was a no test or he paid a lot of money for the forms. He said it's a law under Grandparent Law Section 322 or something where if I can prove that I have American grandparents before my birth then I may be able to derive it without going threw any long process or testing. Can someone please tell me if this is true and if it is then what can I do

1. Robert West

Answered . I agree. Plety of good immigration lawyers in the Bay Area.

2. Millie-Ann Marquez-Li Sumcad

Answered . Determining whether or not a person is able to derive or acquire US citizenship from a grandparent can be very complicated. You will need to discuss your eligibility with an immigration attorney who is well acquainted with transmission requirements and citizenship and naturalization issues.

3. Jason Todd Lorenzon

1

Answered . You need to consult with an immigration attorney to go over the specific facts of your case. Everyone has a story. Everyone has some exception. The bottom line is everyone's story is different. Normally, before 2001, both parents had to be citizens in order for the child to be eligible for citizenship. How did you get your green card? How old were you? Why have you not naturalized yet, especially if you are still in the United Staes. Again, speak with an immigration attorney who can assist you in your case. Good luck.

4. Neil Ian Fleischer

1

Answered . Mr Lorenzon gives excellent analysis

www.immigrate2usa.com