Can I deny a potential renter for my condo based on a bad feeling that I am getting from them?

Carlsbad, CA |

I am in the process of interviewing potential renters for my home. One applicant is getting very pushy with me and demanding that I rent to them. I am getting a very bad feeling and really don't want to rent to them. Can I take as much time as I want to interview other applicants? If they submit the rental application and their credit is good, do I have to rent to them or can I continue to interview other applicants? Can I deny them if they say they want to make modifications to my condo and I have told them it is not allowed and I feel that they would do it anyway?

So long as the reason you decide to not rent to them is not based on a discriminatory purpose, (race, gender, religion, etc.), you are not obligated to rent to anyone you don't want to, and you do not have to give them a reason.

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice

Agreed. Make sure your file is documented, as your reasons may be called into question later on. Your conversations should be noted by date, and should contain quotation of memorable statements by the applicant. Sounds phony, but you will not likely recall what you and s/he said months from now, and contemporaneous business records can be offered into evidence, if necessary. The key is that they are put in writing reasonably contemporaneously with the conversation. Consider getting a hard kind notebook so as to counter claims that the notes were made after-the-fact. Even more helpful are email strings.

Disclaimer: I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice, as competent advice requires an attorney's personal review of facts and documents that govern this situation and that are not provided as part of this AVVO service. Accordingly, you should only rely on counsel who has undertaken a full review of the applicable documents and facts. This forum does not allow for that level of due diligence. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Yes. Trust your instinct. If you feel they are pushy now, it will only get worse later. You are free to refuse to enter into any contract with anyone.

Kevin A. Spainhour, Esq. Spainhour Law Group www.slglawyer.com.

Just to clarify the prior points about putting things in writing, that means, for your own records. You should not, under any situation, tell any prospective tenant why you are not going to rent to them. "Thank you, but your offer has been rejected." Is all that you should ever say. If they press, just say "I'm sorry, but I don't provide information on why I do not accept specific prospective tenants."

Business topics