Skip to main content

Can I deduct my child actor's voice, dance, acting classes, photo shoots, travel expenses,since she made money last year working

Spring, TX |
Filed under: Civil rights

She filmed a tv show last year and we incurred quite a bit of expenses doing so. I serve as her agent/manager and would like to know what expenses we could deduct off our taxes this year.

Specifically, I would like to know about the mileage deductions that a parent can use on their taxes that were for child acting. Of course, I would like to be able to deduct other expenses as well.

Attorney Answers 1


The following is not intended as legal advice, as you and I do not have an attorney-client relationship, but simply as information intended to be helpful. If you need a legal advice, consult an attorney who holds Texas licensure.

It sounds like your child has income that would be reported on Schedule A of your Federal Income Tax Return. Generally, with respect to such businesses, the taxpayer may deduct his or her reasonable and necessary business expenses. So with respect to any particular item of expenditure connected to your daughter's entertainment business, the question is, is it a reasonable and necessary expense from the perspective of her business activities?

A certified public accountant who prepares Federal income tax returns would be the best person to answer questions regarding specific items of expense. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics