Can I cut the roots of a neighbor's tree that are encroaching on my lawn and possibly damaging the house foundation?

Cicero, NY |

The tree is quite large and was planted approximately 2 feet from the house boundary. The roots are now large and, since the ground is largely clay, the roots snake along the surface towards our garage. I broke a mower blade a couple of years ago on the roots. The current owner didn't plant the tree and has stated he can't afford to pay to have the tree removed. I don't know what my options are: cut the roots (which may kill the tree)? , check for garage damage and sue him to pay? He's not a bad neighbor, but I think he just wants the problem to go away. Thanks for any advice.

1. You can cut the roots. Essentailly they are trespassing on your property. In addition, cutting them is the best way to mitigate any potential damages.

I am not licensed to practice in New York. This is general advice based on general principles of law.