Can i cross the border checkpoint with a work permit?

am at Houston right now and mi trying to visit dam . in Laredo taxes , but i haven't got my drivers license just the paper they give you at the fps .

Houston, TX -

Laura Justine Jacobson

Laura Justine Jacobson

Immigration Attorney - Alexandria, VA

What legal status do you have? Bring extra proof of your immigration status besides just your work permit. For example, if you were given deferred action, have a copy of that approval notice with you as further evidence of your lawful presence here.

Kyndra L. Mulder

Kyndra L. Mulder

Immigration Attorney - Jacksonville, FL

You may cross the border to leave the USA but you may not be allowed back in.

Matthew L. Kolken

Matthew L. Kolken

Immigration Attorney - Buffalo, NY

We really need more information. to be able to answer your question.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

If you mean a road checkpoint between the states, yes. Going to Mexico with it would make it hard later on when you decide to return

Susham Mahendra Modi

Susham Mahendra Modi

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

I would highly caution using simply an employment authorization document to enter the US or through a checkpoint. As my colleague Ms. Jacobson pointed out, you need the actual approval letter if any of the status that you have. If it was deferred action, you should apply and have approved advance parole before leaving the US, and even then there could be risks since technically deferred action is not an immigration status. I highly advise that you seek a competent and knowledgable immigration attorney to assist you if you have further questions. Some ways to look for a potential knowledgeable immigration attorney are to look at their experience, CV, affiliations and AVVO profile. If you would like my assistance, I'd be happy to speak with you. Best of luck.

Dean P Murray

Dean P Murray

Immigration Attorney - Hoboken, NJ

More information is needed.

---------------------------
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Elisheva G Mosko

Elisheva G Mosko

Immigration Attorney - Huntington Woods, MI

I would also caution against driving in the United States without a valid driver's license.