Can I cross Canadian border with my son without permission from his bio father. He has not seen or contacted our son in 6 years

Asked over 1 year ago - Griffin, GA

My grandmothers funeral is July 17th. (she was cremated). My son's father signed the birth certificate, but has had nothing to do with my son since he was 3. He is now 9. What kind of information do I need to travel to Canada since I cannot get a letter from his father, since I have no idea where he is or how to contact him.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Anthony M. Zezima


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need a passport to cross the Canadian border. However, you can sign a affidavit of sole guardianship as part of the passport application. Just ask the passport office for that form.

    I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However,... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,246 answers this week

2,940 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,246 answers this week

2,940 attorneys answering