Can I counter-sue the city for lost wages if a criminal summons was made in error?

Asked over 3 years ago - New York, NY

I was pulled over at 12:30am for riding a bicycle in a public park after midnight. The officer issued a criminal summons. The NY Parks website states that the parks are open until 1am unless otherwise stated, which this park did not. So, it appears that the summons was issued in error. When I appear in court can I bring a claim against the city for lost wages, wasted time to prepare my defense, or any other damages? The officer stated that he would not contest my "non guilty" plea but still wanted me to appear in court. A police friend explained why. A court appearance means overtime pay for the officer. Given how many real crimes are being committed, it's offensive that a law abiding citizen was harassed for personal gain. Is there anything else I can do to punish this absurd behavior?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No, you can't sue for your lost wages, your time spent preparing your defense, or your stress.

    You could report the citing officer to their supervisor, and/or pressure your elected official to change the alws that give immunity to law enforcement officials who perform their duties negligently.

    PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me... more
  2. Eliz C A Johnson

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . In California you could not and I expect that is the same in NY. It is a criminal summons and you have to heed it. Further, despite your friend's theory, you need to show up and make your defense. You can vent your outrage then and your theory why this is brought against you but appear you must and you cannot collect wages for doing so.

    Contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

    If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,690 answers this week

3,382 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,690 answers this week

3,382 attorneys answering