Skip to main content

Can I count on help in USA?

Tampa, FL |

I am from Ukraine and I profess Judaism. I want to go back home, but I am afraid to do this, since I was persecuted there. I was forced out of my university, being a senior student in the last month of eduction without explanation from my dean. My home was set on fire. I tried to escape to Poland, but I was arrested by immigration police of Uktraine, who battered me for the attempt to betray my mother-land. Anyway I miss my country and my mother. She is still there. I do not know what to do. Help me, please.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you are afraid to return to your home country because of past persecution or the fear of furture persecution, you may be eligible for asylum in the United States. There are certain requirements that must be complied with for the application to be successful. For example, generally speaking, you must apply within one year of your arrival in the United States.

Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for a review of your case and advice on how best to proceed.

Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
Board Certified Immigration Attorney
Devore Law Group, P.A.
2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: (561) 478-5353
Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
Skype: jeffrey.a.devore


You describe very grave instances that may qualify for grounds for credible fear of past persecution of religious grounds. The best approach for you will be to come and discuss your case in private with a licensed immigration attorney in Tampa, Florida.
No asylum case could be successfully assisted by one short paragraph on Avvo.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


I agree with the attorneys. If you are currently in the U.S. (unclear based on your description of your situation), the best course of action is to consult with an immigration attorney about filing for asylum. This must be done before you have been in the U.S. for 12 months. If you are not in the U.S., you cannot apply for asylum.


What you're describing sounds like past persecution on account of religious beliefs. You may have a case for asylum in the U.S., but you should meet with an immigration attorney to discuss the particulars of your situation. Asylum cases are difficult and require the help of an experienced attorney.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer