Can I copyright my online mugshot to have it legally removed from mugshots.com?, and any and all other sites?

Asked over 1 year ago - Salt Lake City, UT

my picture is on mugshots.com; it was just a misdemeanor, and I do not want my image published in such a manner. These sites charge an expensive fee to remove it. Is it possible to copyright my image to force them to remove it?

1. Dain Smoland

1

Answered . In Utah, there's a new law (House Bill 408), which prohibits county sheriffs from giving mugshots to people who will post it online and demand a fee for removing it. To get around that law, it seems that many websites offer to remove your picture "for free" if you ask them, (they just charge a ridiculous amount to do it quickly, calling it "expedited service.") You might want to look at the websites fine-print, to see if there's a free take-down option.

Also, many of these sites will take down your photo for free if the charges have been dismissed or expunged, so that's a good reason to talk to a local defense attorney about your case if you haven't already. Good luck!

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . No, you were not the photographer.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Probably not as your mug shot is a public document not owned by you. Very creative thinking though.