Can I convert legal separtation to divorce?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Cheshire, CT

Legally separated since nov. 2008 - agreement clearly stated we would reside together under the condition that spouse remain compliant with mental health treatment and free of drugs and alcohol. If not he would be required to leave the residence..we lived together until oct. 2010 - he violated agreement - and has been incarcerated since - should i be able to convert since we have not resided together since oct. 2010? does he need to appear?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Converting to a divorce doesnt need him violating the terms, you simply have to request one. He needs to be served but doesnt have to appear. However the real issue is whether the court determines the previous agreement is to be tossed out as no longer fair and a whole new divorce process must begin from scratch. As he is hospitalized you should seek out counsel to guide you.

    This information provided is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney client... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Alternatives to divorce

Divorce is not the only solution to marital difficulties. Marriage counseling, legal separation, or annulment are other alternatives.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,900 answers this week

3,778 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,900 answers this week

3,778 attorneys answering