Can I continue a civil suit (approved by the Human Rights Commission) if the subsidiary was approved for bankruptcy?

Asked 5 months ago - Cedar Falls, IA

Lawsuit regarding sexual harassment, failure to promote, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. Company involved is a huge institution with a parent company and several subsidiaries. The parent company itself did not file Chapter 11. I worked for what would be considered one of its business units.

1. Matthew Scott Berkus

2

Answered . And what did your attorney say? This is something your attorney would address.

2. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

Answered . The best advice would be to set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in employment law and sexual harassment cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Many attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. In contingency fee arrangements, there are no hourly fees. In some states attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case but in others there is a reasonable fee charged to compensate the attorney for their time and advice. I would suggest that you begin your search for an attorney on this Avvo website. There is a tab "Find A Lawyer" on the home page of Avvo at www.avvo.com that will help you find a lawyer in this practice area in your locale. Good luck!