Can I contest a ticket for expired plates that I received when my car wouldn't start?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My plates sticker expired 3 days ago. I received a ticket for expired plates last night. My car has been sitting in front of my house because it will not start. Is there a way to contest the ticket, since I wasn't driving the car?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, if your car was on the street, the ticket is good. Just pay it

  2. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Take proof of renewal to court, they will drop the ticket.

  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The fact that the car was disabled didn't prevent you from getting it properly registered.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT... more

Related Topics

Traffic tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Parking tickets

A parking ticket is given for illegal parking, which can include parking in a no-parking zone, not paying the parking meter, or blocking a driveway or sidewalk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,050 answers this week

3,951 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,050 answers this week

3,951 attorneys answering