Can I completely remove an expunged/sealed case that was in 2004?

Pasadena, CA |

I was charged with false information to a police officer. I was under age drinking, bar going and gave the officer another person's I.D. that I was using.

I was not a miner at the time of the arrest (20 yrs old) but was extremely under the influence of alcohol.

California does not offer true expungement, only post-conviction dismissal under Penal Code sec 1203.4. That remedy does not delete, remove or seal your record, but it adds an additional entry re the fact of the dismissal. You are not eligible for sealing of the record if you were an adult at the time of your conviction. The fact that you were severely impaired by alcohol is irrelevant for these purposes.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Christine you answered my question. So there are no options in having a sealed/expunged case completely removed. Another words, you can't go back and fight a sealed case to completely remove it from existence.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

You don't have a sealed case unless you obtained a specific order of the Superior Court re sealing for a juvenile adjudication or unless you successfully Petitioned under Penal Code sec 851.8 and obtained an Order re Factual innocence. If you have a sealed case via one of those processes, there is no need to "remove it from existence." Sealed, in the unlikely event that is what you have already obtained, is as close to "completely removed from existence" as is possible short of actual destruction. Actual destruction will occur at statutorily specified intervals as to cases that are, in fact, actually sealed.

The age of the conviction is on your side, 2004, and I am assuing it was for a misdemeanor charge. You certainly appear to be eligible for the relief you are seeking. As to how likely it is that the Judge will grant it, that can get complicated. Factors include your performance on probation and whether you were rearrested and convicted of new offenses. I have two offices close to you in Pasadena, and my Downtown office is probaly 11 minutes away if you would like a consultation. You can contact me through my website:

www.losangelesdefenders.com

Short answer: Yes!

Longish answer: Yesssssss!! But seriously, yes. If you haven't been in trouble since, and followed all of the court's orders regarding your conviction, you will likely be able to get this charge expunged.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

"Completely remove"? How so?

Brent Thomas Gleason

Brent Thomas Gleason

You are correct. I read the question incorrectly. I understood the question as to asking about expunging the record.

I still appreciate your prompt reply Brent.