Can I complete partition to force sale of property on line?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cleveland, OH

66 year old woman co own home for 22 years > He is moving out and moving his family in. One of the families is a convicted felon for assault of elderly people. I am afraid. What can I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael J. Caticchio

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . yes any co-owner may seek a partition

    the process is similar to a foreclosure
    the goal would be to avoid the partition if possible because it is a long and expensive process
    however, may have to file the partition to force the issue and then hopefully settle

  2. C L Huddleston III


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The short answer is "yes, you can seek a partition." But your question is short on facts we need to better advise you.

    You should consult with an expert real estate lawyer to help you through this complicated (and sometimes expensive) procedure. Most such attorneys wlll be glad to defer most of their costs until the property is sold.

  3. Elizabeth Perla

    Contributor Level 2

    Answered . Tenants in common and survivorship tenants can seek a partition. In a partition action, you're asking the court to sell the property and divide the proceeds.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,808 answers this week

3,010 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,808 answers this week

3,010 attorneys answering