Can I complain to the bar if the opposite attorney kept referencing to my mother as "MOMMA" in court?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

In a custody / move away case, the opposing attorney kept saying "she wants to move to live with her momma." I found the repeated remark 'momma' in combination with the stress he put on the word "momma" and with the intonation he used to say it, offensive and disrespectful. It made me feel uncomfortable. Can I complain about him to the bar for violation of Rule 4.4? Will they do anything?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can try, but I don't think it will accomplish anything. The Rules of Professional Conduct do require attorneys to not "engage in conduct that is prejudicial to the administration of justice," which generally requires treating the Court and all parties with courtesy; but that is sufficiently vague that I don't think this is a violation. Bear in mind that legal cases are, by definition, contentious. People are bound to feel disrespected some of the time.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
  2. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Really? My you are sensitive! You should tell your attorney to tell the other attorney to please refrain from doing that at any future hearing.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,089 answers this week

2,801 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,089 answers this week

2,801 attorneys answering