Can I collect widows benefits and ssi at the same time

Mount Dora, FL |

I am receiving survivors benefits, but are unable to work do to heart problems. can I apply for ssi at the same time as i receive widows benefits

1. In general, to the extent that your other Social Security benefits are less than $674 per month, you could receive additional SSI benefits to bring the total up to $674 per month. If you are already receiving more than $674 in Social Security benefits you will not be able to get any additional money through the SSI program.

If you are a widow and disabled you may be able to get Disabled Widows Benefits, which may be more than the survivor's benefits you are now receiving. You have to meet other rules to get DWB, such as being 50 or older but younger than 60, have a disability that began within 7 years of your spouse's death, etc. But it is not clear from the posting exactly which type of Social Security benefits you are receiving currently - you may already be getting DWB.

You could contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or www.ssa.gov to explore your options.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

2. From your question, it appears you are now getting widows benefits.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is for disabled persons and persons age 65 and over who have low income and resources. The total amount of resources, or assets, which an individual can have must be less than $2,000. This includes money in bank accounts, value of property owned other than the house in which the person lives, sometimes vehicles owned (at least one is generally excludable), and other things of value owned. Generally, household furnishings are not counted. If an individual has $2,000 in countable resources, no SSI can be paid.

If a person meets the resource limit, SSI looks his/her income. SSI is paid on a sliding scale, and the first $20 of other unearned benefits are disregarded. Also, if the person is getting any help from others in cash, or getting food and shelter from others, that can affect the amount of SSI paid. As my colleague indicated, in 2011, an individual with no other income might get as much as $674 per month. Because of the $20 unearned income disregard, an individual getting a widows Social Security benefit could get a total of $694 per month (total widows check and SSI check). For example, if the widows check is $500 per month, the maximum SSI check would be $194 per month. For another example, if the widows check is $350 per month, the maximum SSI check would be $344 per month. Some states add a supplement to these amounts, but not many.

The 2012 SSI amount for an individual with no other income, who pays all his/her own bills, is $698 per month.

The resource limits and income amounts are higher for eligible couples.

To answer your question directly: yes, you can apply for SSI. Whether you can get a SSI check depends on meeting the requirements for age or disability, resources, and income.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship. This communication offers general information based on the limited facts set out in the question, and does not constitute the giving of legal advice. For specific legal advice, consult an attorney in your state who is knowledgeable in this area of law.

3. As stated yes you can apply for (SSI) even though you are on widow's SS. But you have to understand SSI is welfare disability as such it is usually reduced dollar for dollar from other income. So if your Widow's benefits exceeds $674 a month then you not get SSI.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.