Skip to main content

Can I collect welfare and social security disability if both payments are not more than 80% of my average monthly earnings ?

New York, NY |

Im recently receiving about 600 from welfare for rent and food stamps and 2100 from SSD which includes my child. I have worked for 17yrs and paid social security taxes through my employer i use to earn 2700 a month

Attorney Answers 3


I am assuming that the welfare office knows of your SSDI payment? That is the key, and they can let you know if you can collect both.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


As a general rule, when you get SSD, you lose some of the welfare and some of the food stamps. Sometimes you can lose all the welfare and food stamps. There are many factors to account for - other income in the house, number of children, special circumsatnces and even in some case what State you live in.

My colleague is correct - you need to notify the agency approving your welfare that the SSD has been approved and they will quickly tell you what you are eligible to continue receiving.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Both good answers - but you also need to contact the welfare and food stamps providing office SOON to let them know about the SSD approval or you may risk an overpayment of benefits. That is NOT something you want as some states assess penalties for overpayments.

Mark as helpful

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics