Can I collect welfare and social security disability if both payments are not more than 80% of my average monthly earnings ?

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

Im recently receiving about 600 from welfare for rent and food stamps and 2100 from SSD which includes my child. I have worked for 17yrs and paid social security taxes through my employer i use to earn 2700 a month

1. Inga L Stevens

4

Answered . I am assuming that the welfare office knows of your SSDI payment? That is the key, and they can let you know if you can collect both.

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

Pro

3

Answered . As a general rule, when you get SSD, you lose some of the welfare and some of the food stamps. Sometimes you can lose all the welfare and food stamps. There are many factors to account for - other income in the house, number of children, special circumsatnces and even in some case what State you live in.

My colleague is correct - you need to notify the agency approving your welfare that the SSD has been approved and they will quickly tell you what you are eligible to continue receiving.

3. Gentry C. Hogan

Pro

Answered . Both good answers - but you also need to contact the welfare and food stamps providing office SOON to let them know about the SSD approval or you may risk an overpayment of benefits. That is NOT something you want as some states assess penalties for overpayments.