Can I collect unemployment if I resign during layoffs?

Asked 3 months ago - Fall River, MA

I live in MA and work for a small company based in CA (work from home). They pay MA unemployment and other taxes (I paid MA state taxes, nothing in CA). Originally, we had 8 staff. In the last week, he's fired 2 people. 1 was fired, and then 5 of us submitted a grievance and a vote of no confidence in his leadership due to ongoing problems for the last 6 months. The same day the grievance was filed, he fired a 2nd person. He claims it was not in retribution (which is prohibited) but "in the works for awhile". I am afraid I will be next. If I resign, can I file for unemployment due to fear that I will be fired? I prefer to resign rather than being fired for my work history.

Sorry- "he" and "his" refers to our boss, the director/CEO. Our boss fired the first staff person last week. Then, 5 of the remaining 7 staff filed a grievance against him, and the boss fired 1 of us 5 a few hours after the grievance was fired. This happened yesterday.

1. Erik Hammarlund

3

Answered . Generally, people who resign are ineligible for unemployment. However, there are certainly some exceptions.

Your post is confusing because it describes the exercise of power that most employees don't have--for example, the "vote of no confidence" is unusual. As such you may be in one of those unusual positions where you are outside the general rule. You should contact an attorney for help.

2. Meghan Hayes Slack

2

Answered . Resigning from a position usually disqualifies employees from receiving unemployment benefits. When someone is fired, the burden is on the employer to show that the worker is ineligible for benefits. When you quit, it is your responsibility to prove that you either quit for "urgent, compelling or necessitous" personal reasons or due to "good cause attributable" to your employer. Some reasons that have been found to be good cause are unsafe work conditions, discrimination, harassment, and failure to pay minimum wage. Good cause could be found for other reasons, but you may want to consult with an employment attorney about your situation before taking such a risk.

In the meantime, start looking for another job. Of course, the best for you would be to avoid a gap in employment all together.

3. Adam Wilson Arthur

3

Answered . If someone voluntarily resigns, typically that person would not be eligible for unemployment benefits. Additionally, if someone is fired for cause, typically that person would also not be eligible for unemployment benefits. Typically unemployment benefits are available to those who have lost their job through no fault of their own. Each persons situation is different, you should consult with a local lawyer who could discuss you specific scenario and provide you with some legal advice.