Can I collect unemployment from my part time job while I am in Americorps?

Asked about 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

I had a part time job doing public safety on the weekends and was working for Americorps during the week. I was recently laid off from my part time job but still have 3 months on my Americorps contract. Can I collect unemployment from my part time job while I am still under contract with Americorps since the pay is only a living stipend, and it is not an actual job? To clarify i work for the Americorps Able program, NOT Vista,

1. Russell E. Adler

Pro

1

Answered . I am not familiar with Americorps, but there is no harm in applying for unemployment in your situation as long as you disclose this and are truthful -- worst case scenario, your claim for benefits is denied.

2. Vincent Peter White

1

Answered . I am not familiar with Americorps Able, but if you are not ready and available to work then no you cannot collect unemployment.