Can I collect unemployment for quitting a job?

Neillsville, WI |

I recently left a job due to intimidation from the manager who stated things like "don't be afraid of me." He would also enter what I consider my personal space. Employees were also expected to hold hands & pray together at lunch which I was not at all comfortable with.

It may be possible. Here's what the state website has to say on the subject:

"While it is "generally" true that if you quit your last job, you're the cause of your unemployment and you may not be eligible, there are many exceptions which would allow benefits. For example, if you quit rather than relocate out of the labor market with the employer, or you develop a disability which the employer cannot accommodate, or you quit because your payroll checks are bouncing, you may be eligible. But remember that since you caused the separation the burden will be on you to establish that your reason for quitting meets the criteria to allow benefits. While it is "often" true that you are eligible if the employer fires you, we must investigate the separation. Since the employer caused the separation the burden will be on them to establish to our satisfaction that you were fired for misconduct. If we conclude so, you will be disqualified. Misconduct may include chronic tardiness, theft, falsification of employer documents, insubordination or various other actions."

Harassment and discrimination based on religion may be other reasons why you may be able to get unemployment even though you quit your job. If your employer challenges your claim for benefits (which is likely given the fact that you quit), you should find an attorney to assist you. You can find a local employment attorney on Avvo or contact the National Employment Lawyers Association for a referral.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.

You might be able to in this situation given the numerous things you listed. The legal standard for collecting unemployment when an employee quits is whether it's for "good cause attributable to the employer." However, it's a highly fact-specific inquiry and you don't list enough facts. Plus, you raise some flags concerning religious bias. You should call an employment attorney and go over this more thoroughly.

Recommended articles about Employment