Can I collect unemployment even though I resigned?

Columbia, MO |

I recently filed for unemployment. my supervisor said he would pay me the unemployment eve though I was not fired

1. Your employer can make any sort of voluntary severance payments he chooses. Or, you can file for unemployment benefits and he can fail to oppose the claim. But, in all events, you must not make any false statements in your application for benefits -- even at your employer's urging or with his consent -- and it may be that your claim will be denied for lack of qualification on the basis of the information set forth in your application. The better course would be for him to make a voluntary severance payment outside the context of UI benefits. In most cases, UI benefits are not payable except where the employment was terminated involuntarily. Any false statements on a UI application can subject you to serious legal problems, criminal prosecution, and mandatory re-payment of any benefits paid.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. There are soe circumstances in which an indivdual can resign their employment and still receive benefits. Most notably, is if you have to leave your job because of an illness. I have a posting on my page regarding unemployment benefits here in Missouri. Feel free to check it out and email questions.

***PLEASE NOTE: My response to this question and any other question in this forum are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. My answer to this question should be viewed as general in nature and does not establish an attorney client relationship. The choice of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements***