Can i collect unemployment benefits after being fired for failing drug test in the state of Indiana?

Columbus, IN |

I was terminated from my job in Indiana for failing a drug test. Can I collect unemployment benefits and do I have to specifically report the drug test as the reason for termination?

1. Probably not. Assuming your employer advised there may be random drug tests and assuming that you were further advised that testing positive would be grounds for dismissal, your employer will argue that you were fired "for cause" and refuse to pay UE benefits.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

2. Failing a drug test would be sufficient reason to fire for cause and you would not be eligible for UE benefits.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.