Skip to main content

Can I collect Unemployment and Workers Comensation in Connecticut?

Shelton, CT |

Here is the story,
I was hurt on the job back in Oct 2011 and continued to work till Feb 2012 when my employer terminated me. I am currently in the process of filing for workers comp due to the fact of the injury and I can no longer do the job in which I was hired to do, but I was also terminated. Can I file for unemployment and receive funds from the State until my workers comensation claim is approved? If so, I have to have the doctor complete a medical form that asks if I am able to work, I am not able to work in the business in which I used to work, but I am looking for other jobs. What can I do? Please help

Attorney Answers 3


The answer is yes so long as you recognize that once you do receive workers compensation benefits earmarked as indemnity payment for lost wages covering that period of time you will have to reimburse the fund. Given your delay in filing the workers compensation claim already, you may find the claim disputed. Not a good thing but this may provide for some flexibility on that and some related issues. Depending upon the severity of the injury and the manner it impacts your vocational profile you may benefit from legal counsel. This type of case is typically handled on a contingency fee basis so should not be a cash drain. You can run the specifics by me if you like. Regards. Paul

Law Offices of Paul Levin
40 Russ Street
Hartford, CT 06106
Tel 860-560-7226

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Yes, you can collect unemployment if you cannot do your regular job but are able to do some type of lighter work. Your doctor should write a note indicating that you are capable of working, but have certain restrictions (eg, no lifting over 20 pounds). You will have to show that you are looking for work every week and cannot find it in order to claim workers' compensation temporary partial benefits. As Attorney Levin stated, you will have to reimburse Unemployment when and if you collect workers compensation benefits for the same period of time.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I disagree with my colleagues. To receive unemployment benefits you have to certify that you are ready, willing and able to work. To get w.c. temporary disability benefits you have to be disabled and unable to work. I don't see how you can be both able and disabled at the same time. It seems to be you would do better to apply not for unemployment but rather for state disability. Once you do that, then I agree with my colleagues that you will eventually have to pay SDI back if you get WC. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics