Can i collect unemployment after job abandonment

Asked over 1 year ago - Elizabeth, NJ

My boss never replied back to me on how unsafe it was to work there and after 3 months of waiting for at least a meeting, i quit my job. Now i recieved a letter for job abandonment probably because they do not want to pay my unemployment benefits. What can i do in this case ?

1. Ross Begelman

Answered . New Jersey has a law called the Conscientious Employee Protection Act (CEPA). If you complained about public safety issues and as a result was forced to resign or was constructively fired you may have a claim for wrongful termination. You should contact a whistleblower law firm. You can call Len from my office who will be glad to listen to you and determine if an appointment would or could be helpful. You only have one year to bring this claim or be forever barred from doing so. There are also other laws or court decisions that may also be helpful that have different limitation periods. You need to consult an attorney.