Can i collect unemployment

Asked over 1 year ago - Burlingame, CA

hi, here are the facts i wish to state,i was laid off on 8-10-2012, applied for unemploynt recieved benefits,then september i took a security guard job, which i only trained for two days. upon comepleting my 2nd,day of training the boss stated i was to drive "i said no i can't,"and went home and resigned well going forward now to december 20th,2012, wasd phone interview #1,then fast forward to january 18,2013,#2 interview. even though the edd is still paying benefits at this point, i have the appeals hearing on january 30th,2013, i have recieved my file from the appeals board,upon looking through found forged and photocopies of papers from this employer dated january 22,2013,not september 21,2012. what can be done about the company sending in false paperwork?

1. Patrick John Phillips

2

Best Answer

Answered . While an employer's submission of falsified documents is illegal, that does not negate the fact that you resigned from your most recent position. Generally speaking, individuals who resign are disqualified from collecting benefits. This is because UI benefits are available only to those employees who are unemployed "through no fault of their own." The EDD reasons that individuals who quit are unemployed "through fault" since they made the voluntary decision to become unemployed.

Certain limited exceptions to this general principle arise where the claimant quits with "good cause." I suggest that you review the EDD's summary of those exceptions here: http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Voluntary_Quit_-_Ta...

Unless an exception applies, a claim for benefits will ordinarily be denied if you quit, regardless of whether your employer falsified documents pertaining to your claim.

2. David Andrew Mallen

2

Answered . All you can do is testify at the hearing about the falsity of the papers. But the real issue is whether you had good cause to quit.

David Mallen

3. Neil Pedersen

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Mallen. Your only real "defense" to the false statements is for you to counter those statements with evidence of your own. If you have any documents that support you, submit them. Otherwise, state the truthful facts and hope you are believed.

Good luck to you.