Can I collect social security disability while already receiving Pennsylvania unemployment benefits?

Asked over 4 years ago - Lebanon, PA

I have been receiving PA unemployment since 1/21/2009 until current. I am now eligible for SSI disability benefits due to a left hand/wrist injury from 1/6/2010 thru 12/30/2010. Can I collect both?

1. Michelle Rene Gottesman

1

7

Answered . If you are considering applying for disability:
    To receive unemployment in Michigan (where I practice), you must certify that you are able and available to work. When you file for disability, you're claiming you cannot work. You can see the contrary theories underlying the two assistance programs. You need to contact the Ohio unemployment office.

Getting past the theories, there are two kinds of SS disability. SSI is a need-based program, so if you are receiving more than $1000/month, you would be denied SSI disability benefits based upon financial ineligibility. SSDI does not consider unearned income, so you should be able to file an application; however, there is a conflict regarding your contrary claims of being able to work (to receive unemployment) and not being able to work (to receive disability).

You should contact your unemployment agency to find out more details of eligibility.

If my answer was helpful, please rate it accordingly. If you have more questions, please contact me directly.