Skip to main content

Can I collect social security and unemployment in Florida?

Palm Harbor, FL |

I am 63 yrs old and prefer to wait until 66 to collect full benefits. However, I do work full time and am expecting a lay-off by the end of the this year.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. To collect social security, you need to apply at your local SSA. The U/C application process and complaince has changed in recent months. You can do the process on the AWI homepage when you are laid off. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

  2. So long as you are otherwise eligible for unemployment, you would be able to collect both social security and unemployment.

    This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.

  3. At such time as you are laid off, you should apply for unemployment benefits. If you do apply for retirement benefits, and you are still getting unemployment, you need to report the retirement to unemployment. The unemployment may or may not continue. In addition, if you do receive both retirement and/or unemployment, you may have to file taxes, depending on the total amount you receive, even though it is unearned income. Stopping work does not always mean taxes are not owed.

    These comments are not intended to be legal advice. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. Good answers all. Just to note: both unemployment and Social Security are subject to income tax, if you receive above a certain amount. Depending on total income, as much as 85% of Social Security may have to be included in gross income for Federal tax purposes. Some states tax Social Security income, but many do not. Check with your tax advisor.

    This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship. This communication offers general information based on the limited facts set out in the question, and does not constitute the giving of legal advice. For specific legal advice, consult an attorney in your state who is knowledgeable in this area of law.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics