Can i collect child support if the dad won a wrongful death suit.

Asked over 3 years ago - Buffalo, NY

I have custody of my grandson,his dad is in prison,he has never paid child support ,recently he was awarded 20,000 from a wrongful death suit,how can my grandson get his child support

1. Lance Howard Meyer

1

Answered . You would need an order of child support before you attempt to collect anything from the Father. If you do not have an order of child support you should file for one immediately.

Pro

1

Answered . You should get a family law attorney from Avvo, if you don't have one, to handle ASAP.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.
  3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . I suggest you immediately contact a family law attorney who can assist you in placing a lien on the wrongful death recovery and aid you in collecting the overdue support payments. Do not delay, as this person may attempt to secrete or spend the funds before you get at them.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.