Can I collect child support for the past two years my minor daughter has lived with me even though there was no court order?

Asked over 1 year ago - Whittier, CA

My daughter has lived with me 95% of the time for the past two years and I have not asked for child support nor have I pursued a court order as of yet. My ex wife earns over $10,000 per month.

1. Jennifer Carolyn Phillips

6

1

Answered . Unfortunately, the answer is no. Child support is only retroactive to the date you file your motion to establish support. You can hire an attorney to help you with this, see the family law facilitator (FLF) at your local court, or contact your local Department of Child Support Services (DCSS). DCSS provides services free of charge, but may take a little longer than hiring an attorney or doing it yourself or with the help of the FLF.

2. Tobie Brina Waxman

4

1

Answered . In the absence of a court order, your ex wife has no legal obligation to pay you child support. If you pursue a court order at this point, it will be retroactive to the date of filing of that request (aka Request for Order FL-300).

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

1

Answered . No, get an attorney and get an Order