Can I collect back-due child support pursuant to an international child support agreement from another country?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Father emigrated to California from Hungary 27 years ago and hasn't paid child support for his two kids since (then 2 and 9). Child support verdict was issued by a Hungarian court at the time. Hungary has a reciprocity agreement with California in place regarding payment of child support, can that be enforced to collect any back-due amounts? With interest?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael Roger Schneider

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . There is no reason why you should not be able to register the order here in CA and then enforce it. Rather or not you are allowed interest would be based though on Hungarian law. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,276 answers this week

3,238 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,276 answers this week

3,238 attorneys answering