Can I claim US citizenship and how?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I am 41 and was born in France, from a US citizen father and French citizen mother who got divorced after my birth. My father was born himself a US citizen, but he is living abroad and he never filed for my US citizenship. I am French and was wondering if I can ask for US citizenship?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 13

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may be a US citizen through your father. Please check the USCIS' Nationality Charts.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It all depends on whether you father met the requirements for transmission of US citizenship prior to your birth.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Answered . Consult a reputable immigration attorney to assess all the facts and figure out if you meet the requirements set by law to acquire citizenship through your father. Good luck.

    [This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client... more

Related Topics

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship means being a citizen of two countries at once. US citizens may hold this status, but the government does not encourage it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,441 answers this week

3,654 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,441 answers this week

3,654 attorneys answering