Can I claim unclaimed property for my deceased son?

Asked 5 months ago - Birmingham, AL

I did a search on moneyquest.alabama.gov for unclaimed property and found where my son has a refund due from the power company. I'm assuming he had a credit on his light bill. My son passed away in 2011. Is this something that I can claim on his behalf? He had no wife or children, and as his mother I was always considered is next of kin.

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

2

Answered . Depending on the amount this will probably be handled by a small estate probate procedure. The unclaimed property people may tell you the general amount involved - from there contact your local probate office to determine what needs to be done - small estate or full probate.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Try to determine the amount and then the probate cost to see if it makes sense to try to recover.

3. Charles P. Ward

Pro

Answered . Find out how much it is because you may have to open an estate. Otherwise, you can work with them. Check Avvo listing for a local attorney if you need help. Good luck.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.