Skip to main content

Can I claim unclaimed property for my deceased son?

Birmingham, AL |

I did a search on for unclaimed property and found where my son has a refund due from the power company. I'm assuming he had a credit on his light bill. My son passed away in 2011. Is this something that I can claim on his behalf? He had no wife or children, and as his mother I was always considered is next of kin.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Depending on the amount this will probably be handled by a small estate probate procedure. The unclaimed property people may tell you the general amount involved - from there contact your local probate office to determine what needs to be done - small estate or full probate.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature.


Find out how much it is because you may have to open an estate. Otherwise, you can work with them. Check Avvo listing for a local attorney if you need help. Good luck.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.


Try to determine the amount and then the probate cost to see if it makes sense to try to recover.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer