Skip to main content

Can i claim someone who i'm not related to?

Giddings, TX |
Filed under: Tax law

My best friend’s family helped support her aunt until the middle of march of 09. They had to stop because they couldn’t afford to help her anymore and I just took it upon myself to help her out. She gets a SS check every month but it isn’t enough. I started giving her about $125.00 a week in April of 09. She was living in New York at the time but moved to Texas august of 09. Even though I am not related to her and she didn’t live with me at first can I claim her as a dependent? I’m ready to file my taxes and I can’t seem to get an answer anywhere.

Attorney Answers 1


Maybe. You stated that "she didn't live with me at first". You also say that she moved to Texas, where you also live. Does this mean that she lived in your home in 2009?

Dependent exemptions are allowed for qualifying children and relatives. However there is also a provision that will allow you to take a depedent exemption (even if you are not related) if someone lived in your home, was a member of your household, you provided more than 1/2 of her support for the year and her taxable income was less than her exemption amount ($3650 in 2009).

Find a competent tax preparer. Tell them to enter your friend into their software as a qualifying relative and to complete the depedent support worksheet.

Good luck

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics